Introduction and Overview
The AMCOW AfricaSan Awards for sanitation and hygiene were formally launched during the 2nd Africa Sanitation Conference in 2008. The awards are dedicated to recognizing outstanding efforts and achievements in sanitation and hygiene in Africa which result in large-scale, sustainable behavior changes and tangible impacts. The aim is to raise the profile of sanitation and hygiene by drawing attention to successful approaches, promoting excellence in leadership, innovation and sanitation and hygiene improvements in Africa.
The awards are open to all individuals and institutions working in the sanitation and hygiene sector from countries of each award region. These include regulatory and oversight bodies, ministries, local governments, civil society and training/research institutions, the private sector, the media and schools.
The concept at inception was to present a different set of awards each year from an expandable list of pre-determined categories. In keeping with this tradition the following sets of awards were presented between 2009 and 2011.
- 2009 - Leadership and Ministerial Awards, Technical Innovation Awards and NGO/Civil Society Awards
- 2010 - Public Service Award, Distinguished Woman Leader in Sanitation and Grassroots Champion Award
- 2011 - Utilities Award, Local Government Award and Media Awards
AfricaSan Awards 2015
The 2015 AfricaSan Awards is scheduled to be part of the AfricaSan4 Conference, taking place in Dakar, Senegal (May 25 - 27). The Technical Committee has streamlined AfricaSan Awards to cover the critical sectors of the sanitation sector. The 2014 Awards will be in the following categories:
- RESEARCH & TECHNICAL INNOVATION: to honour individuals and institutions who through research and development have contributed to the improvement of technical solutions for sanitation services and products to make them affordable, reliable, and sustainable.
- YOUTH AWARD: to honour exceptional youth (under the age of 25) or agencies that promote water and sanitation that affect youth, whose work has/have made a significant impact upon children or youth.
- LOCAL GOVERNMENT LEADERSHIP AWARD: to honour outstanding local government or utility leadership whose policies or actions have promoted innovation, enhanced capacity, mobilized resources or generally created an enabling environment for improvement in sanitation delivery.
- HYGIENE AWARD: to be awarded to individuals or agency/business with outstanding initiatives or progress to promote good hygiene in relation to water and sanitation.
- IMPACT AT SCALE AWARD: presented in recognition of outstanding initiatives with impact at a significant scale (i.e. city-scale; district-scale, country-scale)
- INTEGRITY AWARD: presented to individuals or agencies that have made extraordinary progress in fighting corruption and improving governance or transparency in sanitation or hygiene service delivery.
The AfricaSan International Task Force on behalf of the Convener is pleased to invite entries for the AMCOW AfricaSan Awards to be announced on the 27th May 2015 at AfricaSan 4.
Click to download Nomination Forms
AfricaSan Awards 2015 First Announcement(English)
AfricaSan Awards 2015 First Announcement(French)
AfricaSan Awards 2015 Nomination Form for Individuals(English)
AfricaSan Awards 2015 Nomination Form for Individuals(French)
AfricaSan Awards 2015 Nomination Form for Organisations(English)
AfricaSan Awards 2015 Nomination Form for Organisations(French)